Thursday, January 14, 2010

Conversation with a 7 year old boy

I volunteered in Brooklyns class today and I took Travis with me. When it was time for him to eat I went in the adjoining room and used my nursing cover (AKA Hooter Hider). One of the boys walked through the room as a short cut to the bathroom and he stopped to talk on his way out. This is how the conversation went:

Boy: Hi.

Me: Hi.

Boy: Is he sleeping?

Me: No, he is eating.

Boy: Oh. Does he like to be covered when he eats?

Me: Not really, but I use this for modesty.

Boy: Oh, I know why! Because if the sun gets on it the food will dry up. Right?

Me: Ummmmm, sure.

I didn't seem like he knew much about what was happening under the cover and I sure didn't want to be the one to explain it to him. On his way back in from the bathroom he stopped again:

Boy: Can I see Travis?

Me: No, he's still eating.

Boy: Oh, okay. Bye!

Me: Bye.

2 comments:

Miranda said...

that's awesome! i've wondered a couple times whether it was my place to enlighten an inquisitive child while i was nursing... and once or twice have had to let a mom know about the conversations afterwards :)

Anonymous said...

OMG... so funny! I love it. So odd to think of explaining this to another mom's son, but he really should know.

Hope you're out of your "funk". I don't get nearly enough exercise these days either.

Blessings,

Rachel

The most important thing she’d learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."
~Jill Churchill